Monday, May 5, 2014

Gift of Revealing Shame - Part Two


In the last post I discussed the benefits of bringing shame out in the open.

This post deals with who we should choose to share our feelings with.

For continuity I will continue with my notes from “Women Who Run With Wolves”.


“She can reveal her secret or secrets to one trustworthy human being. “

“I emphasize trustworthy because this is as important as hiring a doctor or carpenter to do surgery.”  

What does trustworthy entail?

“a person who can listen with a full heart and can wince, shiver and feel a ray of pain across his or her own heart and not collapse.”


 
The following is a quote of Brene' Brown's

“When we’re looking for compassion, we need someone who is deeply rooted, able to bend, and, most of all we need someone who embraces us for our strengths and struggles.”

“We need to honor our struggle by sharing it with someone who has earned the right to hear it.”


 The greatest gift we can give ourselves.



 


Identify shame

tell someone


Years back I did a self help exercise and wrote out my past humiliations, hurts and less than proud of behaviours from my past. 
   
I think one of my most relieving and at the same time enriching experiencing was sharing my shame and finding out there were others out there that felt the same as I did.  I was not alone.....and I was normal.


I realize this post sounds more like a lesson and I do apologize....I promise back to my story in the upcoming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment