Friday, November 8, 2013

The Gifts of Imperfection: I Am Enough


In Remembrance and Gratitude
Because...they are on my mind
Because.....I occasionally refer to them in my postings exhibiting the humanness we all experience and act out.  
Because.....I do respect them
Because.....I am grateful
It is this time one year ago, we knew that we had only days left with our mother.....she passed away surrounded by much love on November 10th. 
 
She always encouraged me to write...even in her last years in a hospital bed....waving a writer’s magazine saying “Write Shirley, write”.  I always replied "I don't know what to write"....well "I am writing, Mom".   Nothing fancy...just everyday....."imperfections".
November 11th
My Dad......was in the 2nd wave in at Normandy
 
Photo and caption from the book, “The Seven Years War”  Barry Broadbent  (Dad with machine gun....he said it was a posed picture)
He gave up a lot.....also now passed over......
His words “She’s got to be go....no use to be cry”.
 
They were more than enough.
 
And so I come back to present day...actually I am over a week behind....I have given myself permission...to take the time this needs....and most of all enjoy my journey. 
 
While looking for something else, I ran across this quote I had highlighted in "The Gifts of Imperfection" Smile....I thought it a perfect follow up from my last post.  
"You'll be fine if you do what you do best - tell stories.  Keep it real. Keep it honest"
Prior to starting this blog....the words "tell your story" kept coming up.  I had  listened to a youtube of Lisa Nichols and I can still remember vividly the story she told and the lesson it delivered.  I started noticing readers from my other blog who previously thought my musings woo woo were changing and they were not even realizing it.   This sparked a bit of joy in my heart....my writings were connecting.
So when I read the above quote, that spurred me on to commit to telling my stories as I work my way through this book.  Not just the wonderful perfect know it all me stories but the not so nice get in the mud ones also. 
Speaking of not so nice and  so messy.....back to artwork. .

In addition to painting permission slips we had to write on our hands.....in felt pen no less..... the words ”I’m Imperfect and that is Enough”. 

Now my first reactions were as follows.....felt pen on my hand?..... will it come off easily?....I'll skip this.

Well...... I did promise myself I would see this through......some parts I can possibly leave out.  

My next issue was stating “I am imperfect”......I can see Louise Hay waving red flags frantically.

My friend was with me.  She apparently had no issues and was gung ho.      

My friend went  first.....

 

Then it was my turn..... .I was concentrating on getting everything in on the limited space...freehand writing and spacing appropriately has always been a problem for me.  

Just do it....quite planning....I told myself.

Well the first thing that happened  I ran out of space on “imperfect”. Of course I did...that was what I was putting out there. Little hindsight here.

Oh no! I panicked....
My friend (now turned sheriff) said, “Remember we are not allowed to erase”

Flustered,  I quickly finished up.......then I realized.......well take a look

 


(no we were not drinking....this is serious stuff...)
However this ended up making us really laugh
So the fun...continues on
 

Ideas shared
 
My daughter's artwork
Not only beautiful
She used her brains
Check out how she handled writing on her hand
 
 

Courage

Telling all one’s heart

The next project somehow my friend and I missed.  Three art projects in one night!...we are obviously going to have to step up our production.... since quality isn’t an issue...there is no excuse.  

So to catch up I opted to "create" while watching the Canucks game with my husband.  I missed most of the game .....and I'm sure he missed all my questions and opinions during the game.......but somehow it was all good.  

I had to place and then tape an envelope onto a page for this project.

 Into this envelope I was to place names of people that earned the right to hear my story.

 My husband looks over my shoulder and says,” it’s not straight”.  I move the envelope till he confirms it is straight. 

I tell him, “if it’s not straight you will get credit in my blog”.

He comes back with.....”I thought this was about being imperfect”.

Hmmmm.....I wonder if  I should take someone’s name out of the envelope

Naaahh....he’s too good a friend and he really has earned the right to hear my story.

Hey....did you notice my daughter's artwork is starting to rub off on me?

Anyway...so now you know

If you are receiving this email .....your name is in my envelope

Update

Thanks to my girlfriend for her encouragement and giving fair warning; she is giving herself permission to use us as guinea pigs to try out a new recipe.  I really like that type of permission.

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. it is an honour to be in your envelope sister
    as you are in mine

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps You are SO more than enough
    I know this from our experience of journeying together!
    love you

    love and light

    ReplyDelete