Saturday, January 18, 2014

Letting Go Of What Others Think - Mantras



(Brene's words....Shirley's artwork)

I rather like Brene's Mantra... at first glance.

I could relate to it.
 
That is till I read her interpretation and discovered it didn't mean what I first thought .....I share with you Brene's interpretation first..... as what she offers in her story is valuable and make strike a chord.

"Saying this little mantra helps me remember not to get small so other people are comfortable and not to throw up my armor as a way to protect myself."

I still like the mantra....I can relate....but if something else came to my mind in looking at those words....what it means to me is I have a different issue that I am relating to and so I am going to follow with that in my post.....



 "Don't Puff Up".

An image of a bird puffing up trying to  impress comes to mind.  This led me to think about times I have felt intimidated by a wealthy person for example and I want to pretend I am more than I am.


Trying to impress or prove myself is definitely one of my weaknesses not so much in the having of nice things because I believe I deserve them and/or I am grateful for them but in trying to be somebody I am not.

I googled images for animals trying to impress....it brought smiles and even a laugh.
 

www.furrytalk.com   

 
djurpadjur.blogspot.com

myotherblogisyourmom.blogspot.com 

What I have just realized is the above scenarios actually depict shrinking up!
Isn't that what I am doing?  Trying to impress, stand out or fit in...it is all saying "I am not enough".






I still love both these characters, though



No comments:

Post a Comment